|• KONA French Press Coffee Tea & Espresso Maker||• 9.3 x 5.5 x 5.2 inches
• Item Weight: 1.3 pounds
• Glass carafe
• Product Color: Black
|• Easy to use
• Takes a little longer to make coffee
• Very durable
|• Comfortable handle
• Extra thick borosilicate glass
• BPS/BPA-free lid
• No plastic comes in contact with liquid
|• SterlingPro French Coffee Press (1 liter, 34 oz)||• 8 x 5 x 4.3 inches
• Item Weight: 0.9 lb
• Glass Carafe
• Product Color: Chrome
|• Well-made and durable
• Easy to use and clean
• Good brewing performance for price
|• Heat-resistant borosilicate glass
• No plastic touches the coffee
• Uses Double Screens System
• Includes two extra replacement screens
• Minimal coffee grounds in coffee Price
|• Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker||• 10.6 x 6.9 x 5.4 inches
• Item Weight: 2 pounds
• Borosilicate glass carafe
• Product Color: Chrome
|• Fantastic brewing performance
• A sturdy appliance made from quality materials
• Some complaints about difficulty pressing
|• Durable, heat-resistant borosilicate glass carafe
• Stainless steel frame and heat resistant handle
• 3-part stainless steel mesh filter extracts coffee's oils and subtle flavors
• All parts dishwasher-safe Price
|• Bodum Chambord French Press Coffee Maker||• 5.6 x 6.5 x 9.8 inches
• Item Weight: 1.6 pounds
• Borosilicate glass carafe
• Product Color: Black
|• Heat escapes slower compared to other models
• Good size for most families
• Brews smooth coffee
|• 3-piece stainless steel filter included
• Temperature-safe borosilicate glass
• Can brew 51 ounces at a time
• Patented safety lid
• Dishwasher-safe Price
|• Frieling Double Wall Stainless Steel French Press Coffee Maker||• 10.1 x 6.2 x 4.5 inches
• Item Weight: 2.9 pounds
• Stainless Steel Carafe
• Product Color: Stainless Steel
|• Quality craftsmanship
• Retains heat for an impressively long time
• Fully disassembles for easy cleaning
|• 36-ounce capacity
• Mirror finish, brushed finish inside
• 2-stage filter system: pre-filter and super-fine mesh filter
• Carafe doubles as insulated serving putcher
• Retains heat 4 times longer than glass
Brewing the perfect cup of Joe is no easy task. The market is teeming with different types of coffee makers that promise nothing less than the best brewing performance. With so many to choose from, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and, at times, completely at a loss. And if you’ve tried asking a coffee connoisseur about which coffee tastes best or which coffee machine offers the best bang for the buck, you may get a headache listening to all the complicated terminology and end up feeling just as lost as before.
We’re not here to make you feel like an idiot, but we are here to inform you on how you can shop with more confidence — be it online or in physical stores. If you are interested in enjoying a heavy-bodied cup of coffee and want to buy a coffee making machine that lets you get exactly that, then what you need is a French Press Coffee Maker.
Why Buy a French Press Coffee Maker
Many coffee drinkers will tell you that if you want to get the most flavor out of your coffee, prepare yours using a French press. Appreciating a cup will require a little patience, however, as you have to wait for the sediments to settle down at the bottom of your cup before drinking it. Aside from making every sip smooth to the tongue and mouth, letting the particles settle will also contribute to a making the coffee taste stronger and richer. So, if you’re someone who is looking for the full-bodied and intense flavor of coffee, then a French Press is a must-have for your home or office.
Choosing the Right French Press for You
French press coffee makers come in a number of different materials. Some of them are made of glass, while others come in stainless steel or polycarbonate plastic containers. This part of the decision-making combines practicality with aesthetics. Some will swear that glass French presses bring out a more elegant yet robust taste, while others will tell you how material plays no part in enhancing or taking away from the flavor. Another thing you’ll have to think about is the cleaning that comes after you’re done using the French press. Stainless steel carafes are more difficult to clean compared to glass ones, so that may be worth remembering. Your third option is to get a French press with a thermoplastic carafe. From the tests we’ve done, we’re fairly sure that the ease of cleanliness you’ll experience will depend on the model, which we will talk about in length in our product review section.
Size and Capacity
Most manufacturers will use a four-ounce cup as a reference for the capacity of their French Presses. So if a particular press tells you it has an eight-cup capacity, it’s safe to assume that it can hold up to 32 ounces of liquid at a time. Ideally, you should choose the size and capacity that suits your coffee-drinking lifestyle. Also, if you’re preparing for more than two or three people, then you should consider looking for a French press in the medium-capacity range.
The good news about French press coffee makers is that you don’t need to have a lot of cash to own one. They typically cost $15 to $30, with higher-end models costing about $40. There are, of course, much more expensive models out there and they are packed with rare and convenient features that truly make them stand out from the competition. If you’re looking for a basic French press machine, then you can’t go wrong with any of the products we’ve reviewed below. But if you’re in the market for a large capacity unit, then expect to pay anywhere between $100 to $150.
The 5 Best French Presses in 2020
Since you now have an idea about how to choose the right French press machine, then it’s time to take a look at the best models available this year. They’ve all managed to rack up fantastic reviews from users, but we’ve also spent hours meticulously picking them apart to check for any drawbacks. In the end, what matters is that you get to buy the French press that fits your needs and budget.
Our Top Pick:
- Unique and attractive insulated outer shell
- Extra thick clear borosilicate glass coffee pot
- Portable espresso coffeemaker or teapot maker for travel and outdoor camping
- Quiet and non-electric coffee/espresso/tea maker
- Comfortable handle: sturdy and clever design for easy pouring to your mug
- BPA-free lid: no plastic comes into contact with the liquid
- Easy to clean
- Dishwasher safe and stainless steel filter screen infuser system
When it comes to durability and appearances, the KONA French Press really takes the cake. It combines affordability and performance beautifully, too. The carafe is made of borosilicate glass, which is stylishly wrapped in a black protective shield that manufacturers claim helps prevent breakage. Holding the product in your hands, you’ll notice that the materials used to make it are undoubtedly high-quality. Most reviewers have praised the comfortable grip, but for some people, they thought it was rather thin. We were, however, convinced that the product is solidly built and the grip is unlikely to break off at any point in time. If you’re not too keen on washing things by hand, you’ll be happy to know that the KONA French Press has a carafe and detachable stainless steel filter system that are both dishwasher safe at the top rack. Overall, it’s hard to find a product that offers this much reliability at such a modest price, which is why we definitely recommend it to anyone who’s looking for the best French Press coffee maker.
- Carafe is made of durable, heat-resistant borosilicate glass
- No plastic touches the coffee while brewing or pouring
- The first French press that uses Double Screens System for an amazingly smooth cup of coffee
- Includes two extra replacement screens with the SterlingPro French press
This Sterling Pro is arguably just as impressive as the product we’ve just reviewed above. You’ll notice that there is a slight difference in price and design, but both feature a borosilicate glass container, a stainless steel lid and plunger, and a black plastic handle. The container can easily be detached from its metal frame so you can pop it in the dishwasher. In terms of performance, it’s really hard to tell how the coffee this product makes differs from coffee made with the KONA French press, but most reviewers swear by the Sterling Pros improved smoothness – we’ll leave that for you to decide. We’re not surprised to see that this is also one of the most popular French press on Amazon, considering how it combines great performance and a price point that’s within reach for virtually all shoppers. And to top it off, this product comes with two extra replacement filter screens so you can enjoy more cups of coffee or espresso before needing to spend more money.
- Coffee is measured in 4 oz. cups, this 12-cup, 51-ounce French Press serves for 3-4 people
- Carafe is made of durable, heat-resistant borosilicate glass; Stainless Steel frame and heat resistant handle. Both Dishwasher Safe
- 3-part stainless steel mesh filter helps extract your coffee’s aromatic oils and subtle flavors
- Pressed coffee extracts the perfect amount of essentials oils and acids from the bean for the maximum amount of flavor from your coffee. It’s the preferred method for brewing for coffee enthusiasts everywhere
- All parts are dishwasher-safe
The Chambord is one of only two Bodum French Press coffee makers that comes equipped with a patented locking lid system which is designed to reduce splashing when pressing down the plunger. The Bodum Chambord French Press can easily become the main attraction in your kitchen, with its borosilicate beaker, chrome plating, and stainless steel frame. The container is surprisingly sturdy and made to withstand drastic temperature changes so you can enjoy many cups of delicious coffee from the first purchase. Another design feature of the Bodum Chambord French Press that pleased us were the clear labels and imprints. It eliminates the need for guesswork when preparing an aromatic and energizing batch of pressed coffee. We tried this French press ourselves to see how its brewing performance faired against the other products on our list, and the results were to be expected. Because the Chambord French Press is a manual coffee maker (and requires no electricity), the whole process is literally in your hands. Depending on the temperature and steep time you incorporate into the brewing process, your coffee will also vary in strength and taste.
The Bodum Chambord certainly stands out from the competition in many ways, including affordability and durability. This is because almost everyone knows that when it comes to French pressed coffee, Bodum is the company to trust. But despite its many positive reviews, the Chambord isn’t free of criticisms from consumers. One common complaint was the presence of coffee particles. To be honest, we can hardly consider this a serious problem because French pressed coffee almost always has coffee grounds. If you don’t like the grittiness of French pressed coffee, try waiting a couple of minutes to let the particles settle to the bottom. However, if you’re a true coffee connoisseur, there’s a big chance these grinds will only add to the charm that you can only find in a freshly-pressed cup of Joe.
- Brews coffee in 4 mins while retaining bean’s oils for rich, complex flavor
- 3-piece stainless-steel filter included, no additional filters needed
- Temperature-safe borosilicate glass beaker to brew 51-ounce
- Patented safety lid, dishwasher-safe
- Replacement parts available
Considering how this is the second Bodum product to appear on our list, there’s no questioning how reliable and trustworthy we think the company to be. It’s not because Bodum is paying us to talk about them – no, not at all. It’s just that they’ve been around long enough to know what they’re doing when it comes to coffee makers. Bodum Brazil is one of the first ever coffee makers the company released to the public, and for years it has continued to wow customers. You may have noticed that Bodum’s Brazil French Press is a few dollars behind the Chambord in terms of price, and there appears to be a number of reasons for that. While the product looks and feels sturdy, it looks like the quality of material used isn’t that good compared to more expensive French presses. We were lucky enough to not have problems with the carafe even after constant use, but some reviewers reported cracks on the glass when pouring in boiling water. This hasn’t been true for everyone, though, so we’ve decided to keep an open mind just in case people just happened to purchase a potato-quality Bodum Brazil. As with all French presses, you’re sure to get a cup of coffee that tastes wonderful – assuming you know what you’re doing. The Bodum Brazil does a pretty good job of retaining heat and filtering out most of the particles so your coffee goes down smoothly while still having that robust flavor. Do we recommend this product? If you’re not keen on spending a lot of money for a basic French press, then yes, we recommend it. It’s a no-fuss coffee maker that does what it’s supposed to, and it’s a great companion for first-time French press users.
- Double-wall 18/10 stainless-steel French press for coffee or tea; 23-ounce capacity, measures 9-inches high
- Mirror finish outside and brushed finish inside; full-length handle is comfortable in the hand
- 2 stage filter system uses a pre-filter & super-fine mesh filter for zero sediments in cup; metal wire inside coil presses plunger against inside wall
- Carafe doubles as insulated serving pitcher; retains heat 4 times longer than glass
- Disassembles easily for washing; dishwasher-safe; 5-year warranty against manufacturing defects
The Frieling Double Wall French Press coffee maker is a step up from other French presses with its double wall insulation and all-steel mesh plunger. This coffee press keeps your drink steaming hot! With its stylish pitcher, you can even use the Frieling as a container for other beverages, such as tea and juice. If you’re worried about plastic parts coming into contact with the liquid, you’ll be happy to know that the Frieling Double Wall French Press doesn’t have plastic components, which means there’s no BPA in your coffee. Also, since you’re paying quite a hefty amount for this product, you can expect its design features to be above par with other French presses. Other coffee makers may drip and dribble all over your beautiful counter, but the Frieling Double Wall French Press is guaranteed to pour nicely, with no mess whatsoever. And did we mention yet how attractive this product looks? It really does look like a premium product, and it makes a great cup of joe that you can brag about to your friends and relatives. Overall, we would tell you not to waste a second in deciding to get the Frieling Double Wall French Press. You are getting a coffee maker that’s made from the best possible material and built to withstand years of delicious brewing!