CLASSIC GLUTEN-FREE BREAD
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk (or almond milk)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon xanthan gum
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup soy flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups rice flour
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- Ensure that milk is at room temperature
- Follow the recommended order when placing the ingredients into the breadmaker pan.
- Select the dough or sweet dough cycle. Let it run for five minutes and then check the consistency of the dough.
- Add additional liquid or rice flour if needed.
- Once dough cycle is finished, remove from breadmaker and place into a bread pan. Let rise until double its size then bake at 350’F for about 40 minutes.
- If preferred, you can let the breadmaker go through the entire cycle and cook the bread.
- When bread is finished, let cool for 10 to 15 minutes before removing from pan.
You can play with the recipe a little and rosemary, garlic and black olives or sun dried tomatoes and basil.
3 VARIATIONS OF A GLUTEN-FREE BREAD RECIPE
- 2 cups rice flour
- 1⁄2 cup potato starch
- 1⁄2 cup tapioca flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons xanthan gum (or guar gum)
- 2⁄3 cup powdered milk (or 1/2 non dairy substitute)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups lukewarm water
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons dry yeast, granules (or Bread Maker yeast)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted (or margarine)
- 1 teaspoon vinegar (or dough enhancer)
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- Place 1 & 1/2 tablespoons yeast in bread pan.
- Add all the flours, xanthan/guar gum, milk powder and salt.
- Add the sugar.
- Beat the eggs.
- Combine all the water, the butter, vinegar, and eggs. (If your bread machine manual recipes call for warm water, use that. If it has a pre-heating cycle, put in at room temperature.).
- Use the white bread setting at medium crust (if you have this selection). Alternatively 3-4 hour setting.
You can exchange 1 cup or both cups of white rice flour for brown rice flour to make white and brown bread. The results are excellent. Substituting 1/2 cup powdered buttermilk for the milk powder and omitting the vinegar gives you tender buttermilk bread. Follow bread machine making instructions as per normal. You can also add 1 tablespoon linseeds and 1tablespoon of cut up sunflower seeds in any of the three versions.